For the Weekly Record Herald
TIPP CITY — This cannon sat on “Cannon Hill”, which was the northwest corner of Fifth and Broadway. It was used in the Civil War.
In 1904 it was presented to the local chapter of the GAR (Grand Army of the Republic) as a memorial to the local Civil War Veterans.
It weighs nine tons and it took five teams of horses to put it in place.
The large base was purchased by the GAR. The right side reads “To the memory of the Soldiers and Sailors that served in the Army during the Civil War from 1861-1865”. The left side reads “Erected by D. M. Rouzer Post GAR and presented by them to the citizens July 4, 1904”.
This was a focal point for Memorial Day services when children marched from the school (The Castle) and placed flowers beside the cannon.
When the Broadway gym was built, the cannon was moved and the hill was flattened. The Cannon now sits in front of the American Legion on the corner of Park and Third St.
The consensus is that the cannon balls were stored in the basement of the Castle School. Unfortunately no one thought to retrieve them when the building was demolished.