By Susie Spitler
For the Weekly Record Herald
TIPP CITY — The Tippecanoe Historical Museum sits on the southeast corner of Third and Walnut St. In the 1800’s Ed Young had a blacksmith shop on this site and lived in the little house next door.
In 1926 Walter and Bertha Deam Ratcliff purchased the property. He turned the blacksmith shop into a livery and she opened a fire insurance office in the house.
In 1929 the garage caught fire, destroying several vehicles and damaging neighboring properties. Several injuries were sustained and they had to ward off looters. Later that year Bertha had the present building constructed, known as the Ratcliff Building, to house the first permanent post office in Tipp. Henrietta Bennett was the first postmistress in this building.
In 1985 the Historical Society purchased the building. With donated labor and funds from various groups and organizations, the museum was opened April 29, 1991. It is full of historical artifacts with Tipp City connections as well as shelves of research information and files full of pictures and additional information.
There are also a number of Tipp City related items for purchase including: ornaments of historical buildings; an activity book of puzzles and local buildings to color; note card sets; wooden plaques of various downtown buildings; plus other items. These items can also be purchased at the Community Services Offices during their business hours.
The museum will be open Saturdays from 10 a.m. to noon, weather permitting. The Historical Society would be happy to provide guided tours for family or friends visiting during the holidays. Call Gordon at 667-3051 or Susie at 698-6798 for information or to make an appointment.